As of today, I’ve interviewed fifteen music makers. For posterity’s sake and to gather my bearings a bit, here are some updates:
- My standard M.O: reach out to musicians, schedule interviews 1-2 weeks out, interview once a day or every other day, break for weekends to write and reflect, lather, rinse, repeat. Rely on bread and butter revenue to sustain my new project.
- Things I need to do more:
- Write shorter posts. I can’t help it. I try. I really do. I dare myself to keep a post at 750 words, but the story just starts spewing like a kindergartner’s explanation of how to make a sandwich and every part is important. Every tidbit is essential.
- Reach out to musicians I don’t know. This is hard, but I think I just have to ask for help to move beyond the initial cold call.
- Take sustained chunks of time to write about every encounter (like, more than two days, and closer to a week…in fact, this next go around, I’m aiming for a 1week:1week ratio of interviewing and writing).
- Things I need to do less
- Worry about style
- Worry about voice (for some reason, I thought this was especially important, but maybe I just thought this because I’m a voice teacher…)
- Try to be perfect
- Try to flow (because unless it’s my menses or a keg, things shouldn’t flow just yet, amiright??!!)
That’s all, folks.